Monday, February 22, 2010

Tip of the Day: How to Handle Birthday Parties with Severe Food Allergies

How to handle birthday parties when your child has severe food allergies:

I always called or spoke in person with the parents who were hosting the party. I would explain Nicolle's food allergies to them and ask if I could bring Nicolle's food and a treat for her to have so that she would not feel left out when others were eating the cake. I would also stay close by, but not hovering over her either. I just wanted to let her know that I was there in case she did have an allergic reaction.

Try not to make your child feel like they have to be worried about the possibility of having a reaction. You also don't want to make your child feel like all eyes are on her. If you just let him or her be like all the others and not make a big deal out of the fact he or she can't eat what the other children can eat, then everyone will feel comfortable and have fun.

Libby Avery

No comments:

Post a Comment