Friday, March 19, 2010

Tip of the Day: Where to Get Your Calcium When You're Allergic to Milk

How to get the calcium you need when you are allergic to milk:

I have been allergic to milk my entire life. I have never had a drop of it. Therefore, I had to find a way to get the calcium my body needs. I found the best way to do this is through eating foods that are rich in calcium. My weekly diet consists of almonds, sunflower seeds, green vegetables, soy products like soy milk and tofu and a piece of salmon at least once a week. I also sit in the sun for a little bit every day in order to soak up the much needed vitamin D that helps you absorb calcium.

My MD told me I needed to have 1,000 milligrams of calcium a day. At my last physical he asked me how I have been getting my calcium all of these years and I told him, "by my diet". He said that it wasn't enough and gave me a supplement to take every day.

My tip for you today is to say that if you are allergic to milk, make sure to ask your doctor if you are getting enough calcium to maintain healthy and strong bones.
Evidently, for me, my diet was not enough, so I hope you make sure you are getting what your body needs.

Nicolle Avery

2 comments:

  1. wow this post really good because when I had told a doctor he told me same thing which you explain here. how to control pain, allergy, use of supplement for health. great. Joint Pain

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read many post talking about allergies and the solutions. But nobody explained that if you have particular allergy then what will be the substitute!. You provided that. This site is simply a great solution provider.

    ReplyDelete